Wednesday 6 November 2013

Ceramic bowl.




   These are samples for the bowl I created. I found that I really wanted to use text in my piece because I find it looks nice on clay. I created these samples to see what it would come out like with the white slip on top of red clay. I really like the one that has loads of different fonts etched into it I find that is the one that worked the best out of the three.  
These are my samples after I glazed them. For the purple piece I wish I had used a clear glaze because underneath I really nicely blended together a green stain, magnesium oxide and copper oxide. however because I used the purple glaze you can't really see it which is disappointing.
     I like the colour of the glaze I used on the oddly shaped one. I used matte sun yellow glaze but I only used one layer so you can still see where I have stained the scrafitto underneath. The bottom right hand corner is my least favourite because all I used is a stain and a clear glaze, however, the top right piece is also just stain and clear glaze but I really like how this one turned out. I feel its because of the range of fonts and the fact I applied the glaze properly.



   This is how my bowl looked before it went into the kiln. I like the design around the edges of the bowl, however, I don't like the drawings I have done in a circle in the middle. I think if I had not made my design as circular as I have then it would of looked better. I so like the letters i have stamped in the middle I find it pulls the piece together. I still like how it has come out though I think as a piece it is very nice. 
 After it going into the kiln I used a green stain to colour in the images and rub into the text and blended it in. Then I applied a clear glaze, cleaned the underneath and put it back in the kiln. Personally I like my outcome and think I did a good job.



While creating my bowl I came across this ceramicist Susan Nemeth. She caught my eye because instead of using the spinning wheel to create her bowls she uses the technique I used with a press mold. I find this technique interesting; however, I found it nerve racking because I thought the bottom wouldn’t come out as well as I’d hoped and you don’t see the bottom until the end of the process. I still enjoyed created this piece and I will definitely use the technique again in the future. 


No comments:

Post a Comment