Wednesday 6 November 2013

Body Form and Pattern.


        In my Fine Art class I have been told to produce a piece where the form of the body is linked with pattern. To begin with I started researching various artist.

    Sylvia Gi



This is an artist ho definitely caught my eye. Sylvia Ji bases her work on the Mexican ‘Day Of The Dead’ Festival. I adore this festival and the South American culture is so fascinating, I love how she has linked her work to this.  I have noticed that a lot of her work is based on red as a main colour but even if it is a different colour the piece is still based on that certain colour there is not really a mix at all.




This artist I found to be very inspirational. He creates piece of famous figures that have been shot; however, the twist is that he makes them out of empty bullet shells to symbolize their deaths. He heats the metal with a blowtorch to get the image to show and to create the shading. He doesn’t use a stencil or anything this is all free hand. His work is so fascinating to me and I find he gives across a very strong message with wonderful pieces of art.


        This is the first sketch I produced as a template for my final piece. 





This is where I started placing the drawing pins. This process took a lot of time and patience and all in all I used 1000 drawing pins.

          The next step was sticking the filter tips into the pins and staining them to look like nicotine. I used ink to stain the tips therefore the piece doesn’t smell of smoke and I can also get more precise colours with ink rather than used filters. To make the colour I used brown ink mixed with yellow to give it the light brown colour and simply added more dark brown to add tone to the piece.




   

This is my final outcome for my Body Form and Pattern project. I do like how this has come out because you can see who it is and I’ve tried my hardest to get all the shading right. You can however see the pins underneath where I cut off the excess card so I think this piece would be better in a frame. For this reason and the reason that it is a very fragile. If I could change one thing about this piece then I would of done it on a much bigger scale in order to get more detail into the image however this would of taken too much time and I would of got past our deadline and the material expenses would be high.


No comments:

Post a Comment