Tuesday 15 October 2013

Resin casting








         


            These are photos of when I produced resin castings of my objects in my 3D class. I was told to choose several items out of my collection to put into the vacuum former. I had to carefully choose my items to ensure my molds would not develop an undercut where I would not be able to get them out of the mold. After choosing the items I placed them on top of the vacuum former in the way I wanted them to come out in the mold. Next I load the polystyrene plastic into the former and switch the machine on to heat up the plastic. Then you pull the tray back up and turn the vacuum on, do not leave on for too long otherwise the objects will get stuck in the plastic. After I took the items out of the mold I sprayed it with a releasing agent then bent pieces of wire to place in the mold for the resin to get poured over securing it in place. Once the wire was in place I poured the polyester resin into the mold and left it set for a week. When I came back I took the castings out of the mold and positioned them on a piece of paper. The way I wanted them to be placed in the frame.  Then I took measurements of the inside of the frame area and cut the pieces of wood with a 45-degree angle in each corner for it to make a rectangle frame.
       Later, after the frame was glued together, I lined up my pieces and marked on the wood where I have to drill the holes to put the wire through. After the holes where drilled I slid the wire through and bent the top at a 90 degree angle to secure it. Then to stop the pieces spinning I wedged bits of wire into the drilled wood. After trimming all of the excess wire this is my final outcome. I really like its simplicity and think it's a well-made piece. If I could change one thing on my piece it would be to take more time measuring where the holes should be drilled. This is because after they had been done my objects did not fit into the frame therefore I had to drill another hole.  

No comments:

Post a Comment