Tuesday 8 October 2013

Peter Blake's - Museum Of Black And White.



                  The image I have chosen to critique is Peter Blake's "Museum Of Black And White" because he is one of the artists that relates to the colour project we are doing. We had to collect a range of different items dedicated to a colour of our choice and create different pieces using these items. After looking into his work further he has helped me a lot with inspiration for our project. He has also created other pieces similar to ours such as his individual museums of the alphabet, which is where he made a different piece for each letter of the alphabet, which I found very creative and interesting along with this piece.            I found this piece stimulating because of objects he has picked. They are all either black and white, just white or just black. The objects have no resemblance to each other; however, one or two resemble each other slightly. For example there are a few letters in there that look the same but they are different sizes and fonts. The cows also resemble each other, there are two in this piece however one of them is very realistic and the other is like a cartoon version. The same applies for the zebras. Another thing I love about this piece is the size of the objects; they are all very small and petite. I believe the biggest item is the chest of drawers, however, that itself is only the size of the toy racecar that’s beside it.             I find the way he arranged his objects are important too. He seems to of arranged them in size from smallest to largest which I find works very well with this piece. They also would look nice all jumbled up because it would let you see the range of size a lot better but it might also look a bit messy. The last thing I would say I like about this piece is the age of the objects. Nothing is squeaky clean or brand new from the shop except for possibly two of three objects. Everything has age and a sense of nostalgia about them. They all look like items you might find in a car boot sale or your grand mothers house and I find it gives a really nice feel to the piece.            Personally I can’t find anything wrong with this piece, I love everything about it. The items are beautiful and interesting. They all have their own individual story for example I’m guessing the lighter with "H.M. PRISONERS ONLY" stamped on it has a different story to the chess pawn. The only thing I would comment on is maybe it could look better with a different arrangement of the items but it also looks stunning the way it is so I wouldn't change a thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment